Wednesday, August 23, 2017

4th of July Weekend- Elkhart Lake and Herz Lakehouse

Casey and I attended our friends' wedding in Elkhart Lake a few years ago.  I immediately knew that I wanted to bring our family back someday.  It is this darling little resort community situated on a beautiful lake just an hour from our home!
It was our first getaway as a family of 5!  It did not disappoint. 
Sometimes I hate that we need to leave our home to be totally engrossed in each other with our only goal being to create memories, laughter, and play.  But then again, I love getting away and exploring.  There's nothing better than experiencing joy through my children's eyes. I cherish our adventures and only wish we could do it every weekend!

Caroline was a beach baby pro!  When we arrived on the 2nd it had just finished raining and was still a little chilly!
It didn't take long for the sun to warm things up and for these two to hit the water.  The Osthoff, where we stayed, is known for it's amazing spa.  Madelyn was really certain that her and I were going.  Sorry 7 year old.  Not yet.  She had to settle for a mud treatment courtesy of James.  

We spent a lot of time doing this.  Just relaxing.
Caroline relaxed too.  I'm so grateful she is the easiest going girl ever. She would nap in her stroller pool/beach side so we could carry on with our daily plans!

We hiked on the path around the lake. It's so interesting that it goes right through everyone's properties.  I, of course, loved looking at all the houses.

Hiking was followed by pool time.




It must be in the genes.  Our kids love the water.  Caroline loved sitting in the sand and letting the tiny waves carry water up onto her.  She cried when I took her back to our chairs.  She also tried her first fistfull of sand.  Whoopsie.  James was thrilled that he could swim out to the rope marking the end of the swimming area.  Madelyn, of course, wanted to race anyone who would take her on.

Caroline splashes in the water immediately when she gets in!

Definitely would venture back to this beautiful resort.

Silly times!

By the time we made it to dinner these two were pooped!

All three of them conked out!
How did I get so lucky?!

We left Elkhart Lake on the 4th and went directly to our friend's lake house near Lake Geneva.  They are so incredibly generous with their numerous toys and are such amazing hosts.  The kids (and adults) had a ton of fun!

Caroline went on her first boat ride.  She was not a fan of the life jacket at first but then was so relaxed that I actually thought she was asleep.  We spent a lot of time out on the boat.  Such fun!
The babies of the group! 
Madelyn tried really hard to get up water skiing.  She was close!  Casey took both Madelyn and James out on the jet skis and they both loved tubing behind the boat.  Madelyn went flying off - she said it was the best part. 


Sparklers for the end of the night.  The only thing missing from our weekend were fireworks.  We seemed to be in the wrong city each night that we just missed their show.  I assured everyone we have plenty of more chances for fireworks. 


Casey has been working a lot and getting to have an entire weekend just to play was just what we all needed!





No comments:

Post a Comment