Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Merry Christmas!



Casey and I celebrated Christmas six more times in two days! We saw both sides of my extended family, both sides of his extended family, my parents, and his family! It was wonderful to be able to see everyone, but it was slightly exhausting too. By the end of the day, Casey was certain it should be New Year's! In many ways, I am so thankful that our family is all in one place. It allows us to continue so many of the holiday traditions that we grew up with. However, something tells me that the future will bring change for us. I don't know if we will be able to jam pack two days with a baby in tow. It is so crazy to think that this year we are childless, and next Christmas we will have a 9 month old baby. Everyone talks about how the excitement of Christmas is reminiscent of your own childhood when you celebrate with your own children. I can not wait for this experience and the ability to create our own family traditions!

Casey's parents are always very accommodating. I am so lucky to have them as in laws. They always allow us to be flexible with our arrival and departure time. They recognize the most important part is that we are able to spend time together. They make us feel that it is okay to make our own plans. For this, we are so thankful. I asked them if we could celebrate Christmas on December 26th this year. Celebrating this day allowed us to have all afternoon together without rushing to another event. It provided a relaxing atmosphere to just enjoy each other's company. And it keep Casey in Janesville for one more day!


Of all the gifts I purchased for Christmas, I was most excited to give our nieces Addison and Kaitlyn the homemade tutus and tap shoes!


Tom received a Wisconsin Snuggie from the girls!! HAHA!


The girls wished Casey Happy Birthday!!

My dad is going to be such a good grandpa! He was on dog duty all weekend! I can not believe how he runs non-stop for these three dogs! I do believe ours is the least demanding!

I've spent the last 6 months trying to plan something special for my husband's 30th birthday. I originally thought that we could mark this birthday with a special vacation, our last as a childless couple. I spent time researching the ideal spot and seeking the perfect price. Alas, I came up empty. I decided a surprise birthday party with all of his friends was the perfect Plan B. With his birthday falling between Christmas and New Year's, I decided holding the party in Janesville while many of our friends were home for the holidays was the best option. It turned out perfectly.

Casey tried to throw a wrench in my plan countless times. He originally was adamant that we were returning to Milwaukee Saturday morning. Even as we were walking into Time Out Pub, he was telling me how he wasn't staying there long, and he needed to meet his friends to celebrate his birthday. When I asked who he was going to meet, he told me that none of his friends would answer their phones. He commented that his own brother wouldn't go out with him. Kudos to all of the boys for keeping the party a surprise! Little did he know they were all gathered waiting to celebrate with him!

Casey was rather dumbfounded when we walked into the bar and 30-40 of our friends shouted, "Surprise! Happy Birthday!" They proceed to sing Happy Birthday as Casey figured out the party was for him. While he'd never admit it, I think his eyes were starting to tear. He was completely caught off guard. I couldn't have asked for the surprise to go better. The turn out was touching! I was so happy that so many people were able to be there. I love our friends and family. Pulling off a surprise and doing something kind for someone I love so much is just as great as having someone do something kind for me. I love party planning. I love making the people in my life feel special. My husband, friends, and family sure have done this for me. There's no feeling like it....I'm so happy that I was able to make Casey feel the amount of love everyone has for him. It was such a fun night. It was the first time (and probably will be the last for quite some time) that I spent 8-2 am in a bar! I was one tired girl Sunday, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Happy Birthday my love!




No comments:

Post a Comment