James is five!
He picked out a funfetti cake with yellow frosting and put the sprinkles on himself! We all agreed it was delicious! We celebrated at home, and he had a birthday party with his friends at Swimtastic!
James is such a great swimmer. I didn't think twice when he asked to have his party at the pool. As the party got closer, I started to worry about inviting a crew of 2-7 year olds to the party....like I didn't want anyone to perform lifesaving skills! It worked out great though!
James swims with Cain and Crew
Daddy is the best in the pool!
James and Owen
Madelyn is a swimming star, too!
James wanted a lego birthday cake, and we played a Lego game as well. His friends got a Lego kit to build at home and a rice crispy treat that looked like a Lego. I have to say I really toned down the crafting and decorating this year. I'm not sure how much that matter to the kids all along...might it have been more for me??
The birthday banner is still in mint condition!
James has never had trouble making friends. He is kind to others, fun, and funny. In fact, he makes friends every where he goes and he'd be thrilled to have a play date every day of the week. At his party were, Will, Eloise, and Graham Kummer; Landon and Jackson Lautz, Owen Dullweber, Braun Winters, Cain and Crew Jastroch, Sully and Margot Pease, and Adalyn Rosemeyer. And of course, his two sisters!
James feels funny being the center of attention, I think. After we all sang to him, he went to blow out his candle and did the tongue out, spit flying everywhere, thing.
Caroline, the wonder baby, hung out with Kristin and took a nap too.
Dearest James,
How are you five years old? You are my sweet, cuddly, ninja warrior. You are both sides of the continuum. You play rough and dirty, yet you are sensitive and want to do what is right. You give out as many hugs and snuggles as you do punches. You make us laugh all the time. You are a grazer by nature and we beg you to eat. You pick hamburgers, steaks, and bacon over mac n cheese any day. Going to Culver's for a burger is part of your weekly routine with Nana and Papa. You fall asleep easily and zone out to the television....how is this such a man trait from birth??
You adore your sisters. You want to play with Madelyn whenever she is home. You suggest games and activities. Yet, you argue with her and play too rough at times, too. You love Caroline. You snuggle her. You ask for her to read bedtime stories with you each night. You smother her in kisses and rarely, if ever, do you express jealousy.
You love school and are learning more and more each day. You've grown in your ability to recognize and label letters, sounds, and numbers. You write your entire first name now. You are much more willing to do your homework. You talk to us about what you learned that day and request playdates after school daily. You are a social little man, that's for sure!
James, I am so proud of you and love you more than you will ever completely understand. I think about the man you will grow to be and can not be happier that you are sandwiched between two girls. You will be the one Caroline's friends beg to catch a ride with and the one Madelyn's friends secretly think is pretty awesome, when it comes to little brothers and all. You will forever be my most special only son! I can't wait to see what the next year brings, but also hope the memories of you being four years old are burned into my memory. This is the most special time and I want to never forget your sweetness. The fact that you crawl into bed with dad and I almost nightly, still. You pass out kisses to your mom and baby sister like they are candy.
Always stay true to yourself and know how smart, kind, and special you are!
All my love,
Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment