Life is about perspective, right? If I would have looked at this data in my glory days, yes I'm calling them that, I'd be mortified at this performance. Yet, today I feel strong and proud.
Yes, I can, and do, run much faster. Even currently, in this still postpartum body, I can go under 10 minute miles.
But the story you don't see in this data is that I pushed a 5 year and a 5 month old in a stroller. In 10-20 mph wind gusts. Both ways. No, I'm kidding about both ways. But, we did go down a set of stairs. Intentionally. This took time and coordination. I worked on an out of alignment front wheel. I stopped so James could briefly lean out of the stroller to catch the site of a fish in the stream. At one time I would have paused my GPS. I would have cared. But not today. Today, I almost wanted to see how much time it takes. How much time it takes to do it all.
And I felt happy. I felt strong-ish. I thought about how truly strong we mamas are. I thought about the extra effort it might take to make it out on a run and the little people who want, or have, to join us. There was a time, and maybe there will be again, when I was frustrated that I couldn't have that time to myself. To run uninterrupted. To clop along at my very best pace. But today I felt happy that I have a winding, somewhat hilly, but beautiful paved path right around the corner. It was nearly 60 degrees in early March, and both James and Caroline joined me contently. In fact, Caroline's blue eyes and chubby smiling face was glued on me. It was a good day.
Runner's high is real, people. I am motivated and hopefully my tennies will log a lot of miles, at whatever pace, over the next few days and weeks.


No comments:
Post a Comment