First, Casey attended 'driving school' where they successfully instilled a small dose of fear. I guess there were 2 wrecks earlier in the day!
Casey climbed in and experienced first hand how cramped it is in these cars!
He's got the need for speed! We guessed he reached 125 miles per hour. Instructors were in a tower giving the four drivers pointers and the go ahead to pass. Madelyn and I cheered him on. At one point, I said, "Look Madelyn. Daddy's in 2nd place." To which a woman standing near me chimed in, "There's controlled passing." I think she was taking it a little more seriously than I was.
A taller, less psycho Tom Cruise?!
On Sunday, Audra invited me to join her on a bike event called Tour D' Farms. It is a fundraiser for a local group, Braise, who help restaurants get local produce and meats from area farmers. Audra's roommate, Morgan, and her family were also participating in the event. Some of them had biked the course last year, 40 miles. That was the only part I was nervous about.....I hadn't biked in over a year!
We met about 150 other riders at a farm near Fredonia where we had breakfast and received safety instructions. We learned the course was a manageable 25 miles!
We biked 6-7 miles to a small farm owned by a couple in their 30s. It was charming.
We biked another 7 miles or so to the next farm where we had lunch. This farm was over 36 acres, had a pond, and was on the Milwaukee River. There also was a bed and breakfast and a youth hostel which I accidentally called a hostage (laugh it up...everyone else did.) It is the oldest organic CSA farm in Wisconsin and has been delivering delicious goodness for over 36 years. It was beautiful and immaculate. The lunch was incredible. It was put on by the restaurants who participate in Braise group. So good and so many awesome vegetarian options!
After lunch we biked to another farm and some crazies in our group wanted to add mileage on to the course. As it turned out, Marty, Morgan's brother, ended up getting a flat tire. It took quite awhile for it to be patched by fellow bikers. We were back on the road for probably 1 mile before it was flat again. The support crew came and gave him a new tire. Needless to say, he won 'best bike award' and was able to get this awesome poster of the event!
The bike route ended back at the original farm where 8 restaurants put on a delicious spread for dinner. There were side dishes that were 100% local. The food was incredible fresh and scrumptious. I was happy I biked 25 miles so that I didn't feel so guilty gorging myself. A band played after dinner and the group indulged in a few local beers.
It was such a beautiful day and it incorporated so many things I love: the outdoors, exercise, and organic locally grown food that was to die for. I love that Audra and I share this passion. I know it gets irritating to some people how much we love to talk food, so getting to share in this day who 150 people who felt the same way was great! I also joked that my baby was bound to be an athlete. He/she has participated in two runs and now a bike event!

No comments:
Post a Comment