Yup, Madelyn had the chicken pox. Now this wouldn't be all that surprising if this were 1980. We all got chicken pox. However, Madelyn was vaccinated for it, so when red spots appeared on her neck, arms, and face I was rather perplexed.
I noticed a few red specks on her neck Sunday evening, but I assumed she had been bitten by a bug. I thought little of it. Monday morning she woke up 18 spots from wrist to wrist. She had 7 spots on her face, and 2 spots on her leg. They really looked like spider bites and 90% of them were on skin that was exposed throughout the night. I was rather surprised a spider could do so much harm, but thought there was no other explanation.
Madelyn seemed fine. No fever. No vomitting. No itching. So I washed her sheets (could it be bed bugs? fleas?), and Casey vaccuumed every square inch of her room, including the ceiling. He said he didn't even see a single cobweb.
A few days past, and on Wednesday the red spots got a tiny blister in the center of them. Now Madelyn was scratching them some, although not terribly. I decided to take her in to the doctor.
Dr. Hing said they really looked like the chicken pox, but they were presenting in an odd pattern and were not on concentrated on the trunk of her body as one would expect. Her explanation for this was that because Madelyn was vaccinated, the illness was not presenting itself the same. She said that she was fairly certain it was chicken pox.
Madelyn was a trooper and had zero complaints. I guess she'll have excellent immunity now!
She was still her silly self. Pretending to sleep on Marley's bed.

No comments:
Post a Comment