Friday, September 23, 2011

10th Anniversary


The media spent the previous week retelling the story of 9/11. I watched numerous interviews with survivors, widows, and children. It was heartbreaking.

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years already. There are parts of the day that I will never forget, and yet I heard details over the past week that I had since forgotten or never knew. It is a part of our history, my history. I'll never forget where I was and who I was with, but it's a day I hope no one will ever relive.

I thought I'd take this chance to tell my children my memories of 9/11.......

I was 20 years old and just beginning my Junior year of college. I lived in a house (211 S. Mills) with 5 of my closest friends. It was the first full week of classes on campus, and I remember I was pretty pumped that I didn't have class on Tuesdays or Thursdays. It was a Tuesday morning and I had every intention of sleeping in as late as I pleased. Relatively early (or at least to me at this point in my life), I heard Beth and Andrea talking loudly and with concern in their voices. I wasn't concerned about was happening as I couldn't really hear what they were saying. Andrea came into my room and told me I need to 'see this'. I told her I was sleeping. She responded, "Laura. You need to see this. People we know are going to go to war over this." I then realized the seriousness of whatever was going on. I got out of bed and went into Beth's room where she was glued to the television. They told me a plane had hit the one of the twin towers. I remember being in shock and not fully grasping what that meant. I was thinking of how terrible it was for the victims on the plane. I didn't immediately realize that thousands of East Coasters were already at their desks in those very buildings. We continued to watch the news coverage. We saw the second plane hit and the tower fall. It was devastating.

For the entire day, I watched the news coverage. The damage was catastrophic, yet everyone was hopeful there would be survivors. Miraculously, there were a few, but not as many as we all hoped for.

The University organized a candle night vigil the next night at the capitol. I met my roommates there after attending a full day of classes. It felt like the only thing I could do. We prayed for the victims and for the heroes. We prayed for those lost and those injured. We cried.

The news coverage was addicting. In fact, I felt the same way again this last week. I cried as they showed all of the children who are approaching their 10 birthdays. Their pictures were in a split screen next to the fathers they never met. In the background played, "I'm Already There by Lonestar. It still makes me tear up. I also saw stories of those who have managed to heal. While they still wear emotional scars, some have found love again and remarried. Some widows have found strength by volunteering at the memorial museum.

On the 10th anniversary, they unveiled new fountains that have the 3,000 some victims' names engraved on them. I traveled to 'ground zero' in 2004 and saw the site. At this time, the museum was not there yet and memorials were in the early stages of development. I only remember a timeline depicting the day's events and seeing the only standing metal structure of the building that remained. It looked like a cross.

On the 10 anniversary, there was much emphasis on the idea of healing but never forgetting. I know I never will.

As I dressed Madelyn, on this 10th anniversary, the date had slipped my mine. I thought of what she would be doing today and the weather forecast, as I do every day. I saw her peace tank top and thought about how she hadn't worn it in a while and that she may not have another chance to do so this year. It then dawned me how perfect this shirt was for this day.


We taught her to say, "Peace dude."

I looked at Madelyn and thought about a sermon my mom recently shared with me. She actually preached a week prior and used Madelyn as an example. The text from the bible talked about how we are all born pure. How we know nothing but love. Evilness is taught and/or learned over time as we age.

I looked at Madelyn and was filled with hope. It's so true. Madelyn still has no concept of mine/yours. She shares willing. She has no idea what hate even is. I posted this picture to my facebook page with this simple message: My hope is for peace: for those who lost loved ones in such a terrible tragedy, for those who make the ultimate sacrifice ensuring our freedom, and for our children. May they grow up in a world filled with love and absent of hatred. If only all people everywhere could remain as pure and loving as a child, the world would be a better place.
I vow to do my very best to raise loving and accepting children. I hope the rest of the world does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment