


I can not believe a week has went by already. Madelyn has brought us such joy already. We snuggle her nonstop, smile at her baby noises, and try to capture every adorable movement in picture. We are in LOVE with this baby girl.
Dear Madelyn,
Your mommy wants to tell you the story of how you arrived in my arms. It is a story filled with anticipation, eagerness, a great deal of anxiousness, and I'm not going to lie...there was some pain. It was worth every second of it...every single emotion was worth it to meet you, my most precious baby girl.
The story of your birth begins on Thursday March 18th. Mommy went to the doctor to make sure you were still doing okay in my tummy....you were officially 8 days late on your arrival. The doctor said everything was going well. I had a nonstress test to measure your heartbeat and my contractions (surprise....I was having contractions. That explained my nonstop back pain)! I went home with an eagerness that you were going to arrive soon. All day I felt contractions...each growing with intensity. Your daddy was such a help. He rubbed mommy's back and reminded me of how soon we'd get to meet you.
We headed to the hospital around 2am. I was dilated to 4 cm and so excited that you were going to born soon. I labored throughout the night and in the morning the doctor broke my water. The birthing tub, shower, and daddy's strong hands helped me with the intense back labor I was experiencing. The doctor checked and I was dilated to 6 cm. It was hard work little Madelyn. I would later learn how hard you were working too.
Around 4pm, you still hadn't arrived and mommy was discouraged. The nurse, who was beyond incredible, said that I really needed to get an epidural as you were turned in the wrong direction. She said she would never encourage me to get the pain medication unless she really thought I needed it. I reluctantly agreed. It was not how I wanted to bring you into the world my Maddy girl, but I was so ready to meet you.
After getting the epidural, I was able to lay down and relax. I focused on how I would use my remaining energy to push you into this world. The nurses and doctors noticed my contractions were weakening and had to give me pitocin to help strengthen them. Your little heartrate decelerated then and the pitocin was turned off. I had to have interior monitors for the contractions and your heart rate. After a few more hours, it was decided that you were not going to enter the world by traditional means Madelyn. The doctor's decided you were going to be born by Cesarean. I was scared. No, I was terrified. But your daddy, your grandma, nurse Scottie, and Dr. Ring assured me it would be okay and it was the only way I was going to be able to meet you.
Once in the operating room, things went really quickly. Your daddy watched the entire process and saw you being born. He announced proudly, "It's a girl." It was at that moment I first lay my eyes on you. You were screaming loudly, and I saw your beautiful face. The nurses checked you out and within minutes you were swaddled on mommy's chest. Oh Madelyn, how do I describe how I felt at this very moment. I was amazed. I was moved. I was in awe of you. Of every tiny bit of you. Your eyes were wide open and you looked right at me. As I talked to you, you stopped crying. You knew I was your mother. This was the moment I had waited 10 months for....the moment where I would meet you. I was filled with love.
Madelyn becoming your mommy is by far the greatest thing I've ever done. It is amazing to me that the love between your daddy and me created you. I thank God daily for bringing us you. Welcome to the world my love bug.
Love,
Your mommy

Laura...I have been (im)patiently waiting for your birthing story. I loved reading every word and you will be so happy you documented this! Sooo happy for you guys and cannot wait to meet little Miss. Package in the mail for Madelyn. Congrats on a sweet little girl! Can't wait to get my hands on her (and for Delaney to have a playmate at family gatherings!).
ReplyDeletexoxo
Kel