Thursday, March 20, 2014

Madelyn turns FOUR



Dear Madelyn,

Yesterday, you turned four years old.  Don't ask me how this happened already.  It seems like you were just my baby.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I cried a little the night before your birthday.  I loved you as a three year old, and it feels like time is racing by.  Daddy teased me and said I was acting like you were leaving for college and your childhood was over.  So since I can't stop time, I will embrace it.  I hear four is even better than three!  So on your birthday we celebrated you!  And my little girl, that is so easy to do.  You are incredible.  You make everyday wonderful.  You amaze me.  You make me laugh.  You make me feel tremendously blessed.

Your birthday fell on a Wednesday this year which meant it was a school day.  You were assigned birthday treat duty and wanted to bring something with marshmallows (your current fave.)  We decided to cover them in chocolate and sprinkles.  You love helping in the kitchen and sampling the product as we go.  I caught you licking a marshmallow more than once. (Those didn't go to school, I promise.)
The teachers said they were a big hit with your friends.  You were excited about their success too and talked all about snack time including the fact you sat next your 'buddy' Logan.

After school, we headed to Blue's Egg to meet Daddy for lunch.  Blue's is a hot spot in Wauwatosa and we never can wait the obligatory 60-90 minutes on the weekend to go.  So we were happy to go for your birthday.  The waiter brought out your monkey bread with a candle.  We sang to you, and you beamed!

You ordered yourself, 'Chocolate milk and blueberry pancakes' (also current favorites)!

You were so excited to open presents.  When you woke up in the morning, I gave you a special shirt showcasing the number '4' to wear.  I explained we would wait until later that evening when Dad was home to open your other gifts.  Daddy got rained out of work and was home early enough to met us for lunch.  Jay fell asleep on the way home and went immediately to bed.  You pleaded to open the gift from mom and dad then.  We obliged.  You were so pumped about the hula hoop.  It was one of the only remaining items on your wish list! You also received dresses, jeans, and many beach and pool toys to take to Florida.

While Jay napped, you did puzzles.  You amaze me.  You are doing 48 piece puzzles almost completely independently.  You also did crafts.  You made a map, and it included Janesville, New York, and Washington DC.  (I have no clue how you know about DC.)  You've been asking if we can move to Africa and South America in the last few days as well.  I hope you grow up to have a passion for traveling.  The world has so much to experience.  Go get it girl!  I hope you spread those wings someday and fly.  Just as long as you remember where your home is and always come back to see your mama. 

You requested white cake with chocolate frosting and strawberries.  You picked the birthday meal of quesadillas as well.

You were very excited about cake and put your own candles in.

That night we read Berenstain Bears and Pinkalicious (your favorites right now).  As we did bedtime prayers, you fell fast asleep in my arms.  I can't remember the last time you did this.  It might have been the sugar crash, or the lack of a nap, or maybe, just maybe, someone was sending me a gentle reminder.  You are still my baby girl.  You get smarter and older every day, but there are still glimmers of your infancy.  I held you.  I looked at your beautiful face.  Less than 10 minutes passed and I noticed your Hello Kitty clock.  It read 8:50 pm.  It was the very minute of your birth.  The moment when my heart exploded, and I felt a love like no other.  You have given me the very best role in the world.  All I have ever wanted was to be your mommy.  Your brother and you are my passion.  I love you to the moon and back and all around the world, sweet girl.  Happy birthday, Madelyn.

Love,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment