Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How do the days go by so quickly!





Madelyn took her first bottle like a pro!


I am amazed by how the hours in my day fly by with Madelyn! We haven't established any sort of schedule other than the fact that baby girl likes to eat a lot and often! (Hungrier than a pack of piranhas, remember?) I'm looking forward to establishing a daily routine, but I'm not going to lie either. I love just snuggling with Madelyn...yesterday the only place she was content was in my arms. Luckily for us...Daddy has jumped in and is doing pretty much everything for our home...yard work, exercising Marley (who is 10lbs over weigh...join the club Marley), laundry, cooking, baking cookies, cleaning, vacuuming, you name it...Mr. Mom is here! I'm so thankful for his help! I think he is about ready to go back to his 40 hour a week job!

Despite all of Casey's help, I am learning to multi-task! Today I sent emails, online shopped, and applied for a job all with Madelyn asleep in my arms (notice all things that can be accomplished from the couch with the laptop)! She's asleep on my chest right now...I read I can't spoil her until she's at least 12 wks old. I sure hope that's right because baby girl is held quite a bit!

Madelyn is becoming more and more alert and it's fun to see her interact with us. She is smiling when we talk to her, her eyes will follow me, and I can get her to track toys. She's still having some tummy troubles, but her happy awake periods are definitely increasing. She sat for almost an hour in her bouncy chair this morning. I sat with her and we "played". Not to be left out on the action Marley was all about play time too. I tossed his ball with him (see: Multi-tasking!); however, I think he noticed my attention was elsewhere, and he laid his head on Madelyn's legs. It was pretty sweet. I wish I would have had my camera handy! (How many times have I said that? I was just researching taking a photography class, would that help? Hmm...I digress.)


Let's see what has happened since my last post!

* Madelyn had her 4 week birthday! Everyone has told me time flies! I agree...it's a combination of, "How is my baby 4 weeks old?" and "Was there really a time before she was here?"


I'm 4 weeks old!
* Madelyn had her 1 month wellness check. The pediatrician spent a good deal of time with us discussing her growth. It was nice. However, the appointment was rather anti-climatic as we couldn't get an update on her height or weight because of her casts. We learned that her head circumference is in the 85 %ile! Looks like she has a big brain! (We had her weighed at the Orthopedic appointment the following day and she weighted in at 10lb 4 oz)!

* Madelyn had her first set of casts replaced. Madelyn was such a little trooper. She was wide eyed the whole time they used a very loud saw to remove the casts. She didn't make a peep. Surprisingly, I think she was more taken off guard with the ability to move her legs. She actually did quite a bit of crying and kicking of her legs while we waited for the physician. She felt so tiny in my arms again when she was able to tuck her legs up into her tummy. Nursing settled her down, and she was as calm as could be when they casted her legs. We were so pleased to see the progress with her little footsies! The doctor actually thought the right foot was completely corrected; however, he decided to cast it again just to be sure. When we go next time, hopefully only the left will need to have the final cast.

* Madelyn met her first friend. We walked down at the Lakefront with Rori and her little boy Caeden. Madelyn is two days younger than Caeden, so Rori and I had quite a bit we could talk about! I have to say I really appreciate my fellow mommy friends. It's reassuring to talk to them about what is happening in my life and to hear their experiences and advice. Many people said "welcome to the club" when I found out I was pregnant. It's a club that I never really knew existed until I had Madelyn, but now that she is here I recognize the bond that is so easily created with other women who have children. While I've always felt it was very important to maintain some sort of identity outside of the role as a wife or mother, my new found title really has consumed such a large part of me, and I love it. I love being a mother. I am shocked that I can spend the entire day inside our small condo with Madelyn and not go stir crazy. And now here I've sat for the past two days without going out, and I couldn't think of a single place I'd rather be.

* On that note, Madelyn and I made our first trips out together (without Daddy that is). We made a road trip to Janesville for a day visit, and this past Monday we made our first appearance in public. I needed to go to the Human Resources department of MPS to add Madelyn to our insurance. While Casey really is doing super with Madelyn, being alone with her seems to evoke a little anxiety on his part. He assured me that Madelyn wanted to go along too. She did great and gave me the confidence to venture to Babies R Us. She slept the whole time. Mission accomplished!

* We had more visitors. I continue to be amazed by the generosity, kindness, and selflessness of our friends. Becki and Tricia, Addie, Kelly and Nate, and Aubrey and Cassie all came in the past few days. They all oohed over Madelyn, snuggled her in their arms, and spoiled her with gifts. I couldn't ask for better friends and was so grateful that each one took time out of their day to spend time with us.

No visitors touched me as much as the visit of Aubrey and Cassie. Aubrey and Cassie were married in August. At their wedding we compared pregnancy notes, shared in the anticipation of our babies, and dreamed of what it would be like with our children. They had just learned they were having a little girl. Within weeks they also learned that she had Trisomy 18. Their little peanut was born 6-8 wks early at the end of December. She spent 6 or so hours with her parents before leaving for heaven.

I can't imagine the pain that Aubrey and Cassie must feel. I don't know what it's like to lose a child. I am appreciative of their courage to come see us. I'm not sure I would have had their strength. I hope it is a sign of their healing. I pray that they too will experience a healthy pregnancy and baby. And I thank them for their visit. It's another reminder of what a true miracle I hold in my arms!




No comments:

Post a Comment