


I want to take some time to jot down my favorite Marley stories before they get pushed to the back of my brain by baby stories. Marley really is my first baby. I can't believe we've had him for almost four years now. He is a dog that really has a zest for life. He loves having fun and sometimes his fun gets him into trouble! We should have known that naming him after "the world's worst dog" was going to give him something to live up to!
So here are some of Marley's adventures!
+ Marley has never really been known for his obedience skills when he is off his leash. Yet for some reason, I always feel he deserves the chance to run free. It has taken me awhile but I have learned not to let him run free when a sporting event is occurring near by.
Marley joined our family in April of 2006. That summer Casey was on a softball team and Steve and Leah SanFillippo had a puppy as well. Leah and I would bring the dogs to play together as we watched the game. One day as they were playing, Marley noticed that a ball was involved in the other game. At the crack of the bat, Marley took off like a bat out of hell....sprinting onto the softball field. His fielding skills and speed were far superior than any of the guys. That ball was in his mouth in no time at all! He proceed to run around the field...much to my embarrassment....as the entire team tried to coach him back. To make it worse, no one seemed to think this was funny at all. In fact some people were down right irritated. After Marley decided he had enough fun, he walked over to me with his head held down as if to say, "I'm sorry. It's just so much fun. I can't help it!" I believe that was the last time Marley was invited to a softball event.
Near our house there is a park that we often go to play fetch with Marley. It has a fair amount of green space and isn't used that frequently by anyone. On this particular day, Marley and I played fetch for quite some time before he realized that there was a group of college students playing Frisbee. I could see the excitement rise in his eyes as he darted onto the soccer field scooped that Frisbee into his mouth and pranced around. To further his fun, everyone tried to catch him starting a great game of chase. I probably apologized 50 times. Marley kept with it for at least 15 minutes before he finally surrendered his prize. Again, Marley hung his head as we walked home, but I had the annoying feeling that he was thinking, "It was worth every second of it!"
So after having these two episodes, one would surely imagine I had learned my lesson. AND I felt that I really had. Marley was no longer to be trusted near any type of sporting activity involving a ball. That's why the next story is surely one of the best....I often would take Marley running with me (and I talk to him all the time about how come Spring, we're getting back in shape)! It was always such a Catch 22 for me though....he was always onto me as I put on my running shoes to head out. He would look at me with a pleading face, "I'm a dog. I want to run too." So I frequently gave in, wanting him to get much needed exercise. On some days he did really well, keeping pace, knocking out 5-6 miles. On other days, he would fatigue so soon. He'd run behind me and act like he didn't have another ounce of energy if his life depended on it. I'd give him breaks, but I would also be annoyed that he was taking away from my run! Well on this particular day, Marley provided when there is a will, there is a way. Marley runs when he wants to run, trots when he wants to trot, and lays on the sidewalk when he wants. We were running through Lake Park and came upon the Par 3 golf course. Marley was a good four feet behind me and I pulled him along with his leash. Well if you've seen Marley, you know he has a big thick neck and a rather slender head! He learned at an early age that he could use this to his advantage and pull his head out of his collar when he was being tugged in a direction he wasn't interested in going. I'm sure you can see where this is going.....just as we ran past the golf course a group was teeing off. Marley slipped his head out of his leash, sprinted onto the golf course, and had the golf ball in his mouth in no time. My tired little dog is now full of life. He tossed the ball in the air to himself, pranced around the green, and darted around the bushes. His energy was endless. The golfers tried to entice Marley with another golf ball...trying to get him to come near. I thought....oh he's far too smart for these tricks. Just like every other time, Marley came when he was ready (At least 10 minutes into the episode). At least these golfers had some evidence of a sense of humor, they chuckled to themselves as I returned their ball. As we walked back toward the trail, a woman came out of the club house. She was dying laughing. Apparently she had been on the phone with her husband when she saw the drama begin. She told him she had to go so she could watch the scene. She said it made her day.....at least someone appreciated Marley's zest for life.
+ Marley has a great love for MOST people and ALL children. However, he doesn't really now how to interact with children. To him, they are dogs who happen to be walking on two legs! He barks at them and wags his tail. He darts to the left and right waiting for them to chase him.
Well one day Marley and I were playing at the school....a fenced in area where I can keep him safe and other's athletic equipment safe as well. Marley romped in the snow with another dog when one of the students from inside starting yelling rather vulgar things out the window. Keep in mind, I work at this school. SO I decided to march Marley around the building and find the after school director to let her know about said student's behavior. As Marley and I turned the corner, he saw a group of the kindergartners out for a walk. He pulled his "head out of the collar" trick and took off for some fun. As he ran toward the kids, they screamed like crazy. They dove into the snow banks that lined the sidewalk. It was mass chaos. (Most of the students at my school are terrified of all dogs). Marley was in heaven. He thought it was all a great game and everyone was playing with him. I yelled to assure the kids that he wouldn't hurt them. He just wanted to play. Thank goodness he noticed a blueberry muffin smashed to the ground and left the kids for this tasty snack. It gave me enough time to catch up with him and get his collar back on him too! Needless to say when we made it around to the front of the building, I barely could remember what it was I wanted to say to the after school director!
+Marley has had his fair share of dangerous situations too.
When we went to Indiana one year, we stopped at a rest station to get something to eat and use the bathroom. We were going to be quick and we planned to leave Marley in the car. Well he was not going to be left alone and he flew out of the car.....into a parking lot about 100 feet from the interstate. He begin his prancing as cars entered the lot at a rather quick speed. It actually was terrifying. He had no idea what kind of danger he was in. I don't even want to begin to picture what would have happened had he decided to run toward the interstate. We were all yelling for him to "Come".....a word he's always ignored. Finally, my mom yelled to him "SIT". He did and she was able to go to him. Thank god. It really was terrible.
+ At home, Marley really is quite spoiled. There isn't much he isn't allowed to do. Sometimes he forgets his place though.
He went through a phase of whining at Casey every morning. When Casey would get up to see if he needed to go outside or have breakfast, Marley would hop into his spot in bed. Not as stupid as he looks.....the trick worked more than once.
+ Marley has never been much of a chewer....a shredder yes, but not a chewer.
Marley has a LOVE for chapstick and belly balm. If by chance, you leave one of these items with in his reach, he will find it.
Marley frequently (I think he does it immediately after we leave) checks the kitchen counters for food. He knows he is not supposed to do this.....he never does this when we are home. However, the times when we've had to run back into the house for a forgotten item, we've found him checking for something edible.
One time, Marley did get brave and tried something while we were home. Casey had been in the shower and I was doing something in the other room. He came in and asked what I did with his steak that was seasoning while he showered. I replied, "Nothing." Well, Marley had decided to help himself to the raw T-Bone and was laying at the top of the stairs chewing away. Thank goodness we learned the hydrogen peroxide trick. We made Marley throw up the steak....he's had to have a pan of brownies come up this way, and probably a few other things I've since forgotten.
We set the items to be recycled on the counter and sometimes we leave without taking them out with us. Marley often pulls these items down and shreds the cardboard. To be honest, I don't mind. I figure he's just helping with the decomposition process. We came up with an ultra ego for Marley, Shredder. Shredder must come over quite often when we're away. It's amazing though....Shredder knows what is acceptable and unacceptable shredding material.
I'll have to update my Marley stories as more come to mind. I know there are plenty more. After my mom saw the Marley and Me movie, she said the things our Marley had gotten into were far funnier.
I love Marley so much. Just like the famous Marley, he has taught me life lessons. Life is supposed to be fun. Sometimes taking a risk is worth the reward. Love unconditionally. Protect those you care about. Dream and search for things that may be just out of sight....you never know what you'll find when you start looking. And never sleep on the floor...
As we get ready to welcome our baby to the world, I worry what our little one's arrival will mean for Marley. Everyone tells me that when you have a "real" child, your dog becomes a dog. I want Marley to have a good life still. I will love our baby more, and he'll inevitably be number 2. I want him to know that we still love him. I want him to get enough exercise. I want him to still show his spirit (my dad says it's already broke...ugh...makes me sad.) I ask Casey all the time, if I'll still love Marley. He reassures me that I will.
I was happy when Megan and baby Charlee came over yesterday, Marley showed interest in her. In a careful, gentle way, he sniffed at her car seat and seemed concerned as she cried. I know it will be a transition, but I'm confident he'll be a good big brother. I'm promising him and myself that we'll get out and exercise daily...the baby too of course! I keep going back to the thought.....there's no limit for the amount of love one can hold in their heart!


No comments:
Post a Comment