Dear Caroline,
We are so happy you are here. You are one of the three very best gifts I've ever been given. I look at you all the time and sing to you, "Caroline. Caroline. I can't believe you are mine!" You are pure sweetness, and I could sit and snuggle you all day long. Wearing you in the baby carrier has become one of my most favorite daily activities. You love it too and fall asleep immediately. First things first though my love, let me tell you about October 3rd, your birthday. The days events will forever be burned into my memory.
It was no secret that I was rather uncomfortable in my pregnancy with you and that you were going to be a big, healthy, girl so I was comfortable with evicting you from your home at 39 weeks and 1 day gestation. Daddy and I were scheduled to get to the hospital at 10:30 am. I set my alarm for 4 am so I could have something to eat - a bowl of oatmeal - before needing to start my surgery fast. I was feeling very excited and a little nervous.
The last picture with you on the inside! This was before we headed to the hospital! Madelyn went to school, and James hung out with Nana and Papa at Schlitz Audubon Center!
The procedure for a C section is mom is taken into the operating room and prepped while Dad waits in the hallway. This probably is my least favorite part! I felt nervous and wasn't crazy about my nurses. I should say maybe they thought I was a nut. Prior to going to the OR I was in a hospital room where they put in my IV and monitored you. (I was having contractions about every 5 minutes for the beginning of the monitoring. How funny if this would have been the day you decided on your own to be born!) Anyhow, while we were in that room, I used the bathroom and couldn't get the sink to turn off - the nurse struggled too which made me feel better. Then when I was changing into my hospital gown I put my clothes on the towel bar. I grabbed my clothes to go out of the bathroom and the towel bar fell out of the wall. Maybe that got the nurse and I off on the wrong foot, but she was not overly kind and at one point, I think she was arguing with another nurse!
I was grateful for Dr. Ring. When she came into the OR, she noticed I was crying a little. She looked at one of the nurses and said let's get her husband in here.
It was easier to smile with Daddy sitting behind the drape with me holding my hand!
At 1:17 you were born. You didn't cry immediately, and I didn't feel the pressure of you being born so I had to ask, "Is she out? Is she okay?" Of course you were! The doctor immediately said, "Look how big and healthy she is! She has a double chin!" Dr. Ring then had the nurses look at your umbilical cord. Have you ever seen one this big and healthy were her words! Then they passed you thru the special drape onto my chest. I cried. I was overjoyed with you. You were the first baby I was able to hold immediately. I was so in love!
More then Madelyn's and James' birth, I was entirely present and focused on your arrival. I easily forgot that I was still in surgery. I am so grateful for this part of my birthing experience. I appreciate how less medical they tried to make your very medical birth. At one point, Dr. Ring asked if I wanted music on to which I said sure. I anticipated something soothing. On came, Rihanna. Dad and I both looked at each other and smiled.
After some time, they took you and weighed and measured you.
9.4lbs and 21 inches of perfection!
You were born with huge cheeks and lots of brown hair. We still are guessing if whether you are going to have blue eyes like your big sister and brother. Most people comment that you look like Madelyn!
Your first picture with Mom and Dad
More skin to skin time. Your ears were crumpled over and you were a little blue. You were so very new at this moment!
In recovery, you fell back to sleep and snuggled.
Eventually, I was able to get you to nurse.
Daddy held you for the first time in recovery.
About 5pm, Madelyn and James came to meet you with Nana and Papa.
Madelyn was immediately inthrolled with you! She became the 'baby hog' of the family.
That night around 10 pm, you had your first bath in our hospital room. The nursing assistant came in and said it was time for Mom to get out of bed for the first time and you could have a bath if we wanted you to have one. Dad said a bath would be good. So the nurse turned on the water to warm it up and took mom for a walk. You snuggled with Daddy. When we came back, Dad got scolded because he turned off the water! Oops!
I spent Monday - Thursday in the hospital getting to know wonderful little you! You learned to nurse easily and let Mommy alternate snuggling you and sleeping myself. Daddy spent the first night with us in the hospital and then headed home to help with the circus there ( I mean help Nana take care of Madelyn and James and go back to work himself!)
Needless to say, Daddy was tired.
Your cheeks were so big and you seemed a little swollen. It was hard for you to open your eyes much it seemed! You also were born with a little crease in the bridge of your nose. It looked like you were scowling at Mommy a lot!
Mommy and Caroline Adele
Aunt Jenny and Grandma Murray visited you in the hospital.
Sister talk. I don't have any pictures of Nana and Papa with you in the hospital because they hardly were able to hold you. Your sister wanted to all the time!
James and Nana came to visit often. James loved the hospital and didn't want to go home on Thursday. He loved the hospital bed and going to the self serve juice machine in the hallway.
I had a really good recovery. My main complaint was that I was sore from sitting around in the hospital too much. I probably should have asked to go home Wednesday.
All ready to go home!
Caroline our hearts are so full, and we feel tremendously blessed to have you in our family. Like your brother and sister, I read you God Gave Us You in the hospital to you. I truly believe you are an amazing gift. You are so adored and loved. I am loving this magical, yet exhausting, time with you!
I love you more than you'll ever know!
Love,
Mommy

No comments:
Post a Comment