Maybe with experience comes practicality. When I took the pregnancy test, it turned positive immediately. With both Madelyn and James, I needed to take the digital test that read Pregnant after the initial positive result on the ol' cheapo. But this time around, I knew. One test was enough. I knew that I was pregnant! Yet, I was shocked. Completely shocked. I must have reached for my forehead in disbelief. James came upstairs and found me in this position. He asked me if I had just hit my head.
Daddy reacted with immediate joy. Being completely unable to keep a secret he was on the phone to his parents right away. We waited a few weeks to tell your big brother and sister the news!
We took Madelyn and James to the zoo for a fun morning and then headed to YoFresh. I had Casey get a pink and blue balloon and wrapped it up in a box along with a 'Welcome Baby' balloon. The kids were pretty excited to be getting a big gift and pretty confused when they opened a box of balloons. James looked at me with an expression that said, "Balloons?" He went back to eating his frozen yogurt immediately. We tried to get Madelyn to read the balloon, but she was not having it. So we told them the news. Madelyn responded in shock, "Wait. What? Seriously?" James asked for a napkin.
Images from the 8 week ultrasound
In all irony, I had just seen my OBGYN. It was the first time I was able to say we were done having kids without getting teary eyed. Little did I know that I was already pregnant and would be back in just a few weeks! I cried when I saw you. I coudln't help it. You were waving your little arm around and Dr. Ring was making you talk, "Hi Mom. You didn't know you were having me, but I'm here! I'm going to be really cute!"
Overall, I felt pretty well throughout the early pregnancy. I felt tired and nauseous if I didn't eat enough. The kids even got to the point that if I said, "Ooh I don't feel so good." They'd reply, "Quick. Eat something!" I tried to keep snacks on hand and wondered if anyone at work noticed me gorging myself on crackers. I had a few bouts of the 'dry heaves' but overall I can't complain too much. I tried to nap when James was at school and that helped too!
At the 8 week ultrasound we discussed some advances in technology that were now available to me. One of them was a genetic blood test that would look at the baby's chromosomal make-up and let us know if any of the prevalent abnormalities were present. We could also opt to find out the gender of the baby. I always said that I would wait to find out the gender given the option again, but I was outnumbered. Casey and the kids all wanted to know now. The doctor thought it might be good for me to know ahead of time too. I agreed. So at 11 weeks gestation, we got wonderful, wonderful news. I was at work when Dr. Ring called. She let me know that our test came back negative ~ a healthy baby was growing within me. She also let me know that we were expecting a GIRL. I was so elated. It was wonderful to be able to picture what our family was going to look like. I hadn't shared the news with anyone at work yet other than my principal and Mrs. Rosemeyer (Madelyn told her the first day back to school after hearing the news!). I couldn't wait to scream from the rooftops then that we were having a baby ~ a healthy little girl. I called Casey and asked if he wanted to know the news then. He said to wait until the kids were present and tell them all together!
12 weeks pregnant.
I began showing much sooner with you, my love! I started feeling really good around the start of the second trimester. I had a few weeks of zero complaints, coincidentally right around when we were on vacation! I teased that if only I could spend my entire pregnancy vacationing, all would be well! I was running three miles at a decent speed still and felt pretty great being active. Around 16 weeks, I started to feel you move for the first time. Slight little nudges in my belly were incredible reminders of the miracle happening inside. Around 18 weeks, I started to notice varicose veins developing in my calves. I ordered thigh high compression stockings and started wearing them immediately!
Elevating my legs became a priority too. Shortly after I saw my doctor and she encouraged me to start wearing the compression stockings up over my belly as ladies can get varicose veins other places too! Ugh.
19 weeks pregnant at Beth and Ryan's wedding.
At my 20 week ultrasound, I met with a specialist. He was wonderful and gave me reassuring news that our baby was developing typically. Modern medicine is amazing, and James and I were able to see how darling and healthy our sweet baby is. I should say that James was a little less impressed than I was. He talked about how it was boring and frequently wondered out-loud when would it be over. Unfortunately, manning his behavior might have prevented me from being as present as I wish I could have. None the less, getting to see what's happening on the inside and hearing reports of good health is such a miracle.
I am counting down the weeks until we meet you my sweet baby girl. We've named you Caroline. We play Neil Diamond's song to you and sing to you. I can't wait to hold you in my arms and see your sweet face. I know beyond anything ~ I am blessed.


No comments:
Post a Comment