Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thank you for being a friend!


With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I have to say I've been cognisant of the things in my life that make me feel truly grateful. Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to spend time with some of my friends from Graduate School. I love these girls! I'm proud that we have been able to maintain our friendship without the daily lectures, group projects, and tension reducing trips to the bar!! While we often have to plan months in advance to get a date on the calendar, it is always worth it!! As I was driving home from Dana's house after an afternoon filled with chatter of work, men, babies, and fun, I kept thinking about how much we all have in common...a love for the Badgers, professional knowledge and experience, ambitions for travel, family, and adventure (including the type of stories like....you won't believe what happened one night when we were out....love them Dana)!

Thinking now though, I don't know why I was taken aback by all that we have in common....isn't that the force that makes us friends in the first place? Usually there is some sort of similarity between two people that allows them to relate and create a bond that we call friendship, right? When I was young, it probably was something as simple as, "We sat next each other during circle time, and now he is my friend." But as I have gotten older, the qualities that draw me to a individual are more complex (although you never know where you'll meet a friend)...my friends are people who I can laugh with and people who share in some of my interests (reading, running, travel, work, eating, and now motherhood). They are people who celebrate my joys with me and invite me to join in their happiness. They are individuals who support me when I need it most. I have always felt so lucky to be surrounded by great friends.

It's been one of the hardest things about living in Milwaukee....my friends are not all a hop skip and jump away. Sure, I have friends here, but I do not have a group of friends. It's been one of my goals for awhile...to find a group of couples that Casey and I can both enjoy spending time with. A few weekends ago, we went to a Thanksgiving party with a lot of fun other couples. I need to get this group to adopt us! We definitely had things in common! After the holidays, I need to plan something!! Maybe if I put it in writing. it will happen.

Despite the distance that is now a component in some of my relationships, I continue to feel thankful for all of the amazing women in my life! I feel lucky to know each and every one of you! You are the people I learn from, gain inspiration from, and the people who make me strive to be a better person! You make me laugh. You make me love my life. I had the best intentions of sending out Thanksgiving cards to let these people in my life know how grateful I am for them; alas, it didn't happen this year. But if you happen to read this, know that these two little words, that often seem insignificant, are sincerely meant for you: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment