Madelyn and James have been back to school for almost a month now. This year was a big one for James. Off to Kindergarten. I wasn't really prepared to feel as emotional as I was. James has been ready to go to school. He is a social being through and through. He was bored at home with me and gravitated to electronics, which in turn made me feel horrible for not entertaining him more. He asked almost daily to have a friend over, so as school approached, I was happy for him. Happy that his time would be filled learning, playing, and socializing. I looked forward to it all. In anticipation for the starting of school, I had purchased books about Kindergarten for him. I pulled them out the night before he was to start and.....he wasn't interested in reading them. At all. I pleaded, and in typically James fashion, he obliged. James is my peacemaker. He is flexible. While he can have extra energy and play too rough, I'm coming to realize, this happens most when he doesn't have anyone to play with him. I think of the other day. I felt so upset with James because he threw a ball and it hit Caroline in the face. Not okay, right? Nope. Not at all. However, he had asked Madelyn to play with him numerous times, and she said no. He wasn't trying to hit Caroline. He was just trying to play catch. Alone. Caroline was the innocent bystander.
I snapped this picture of James after reading him these books (and the ones he really wanted) and felt the sadness of the closing of a chapter. Eek. I'm going to cry just typing that. It's the beginning of something wonderful, but also the beginning of him spending time, a lot of time, at school. Not with me. And while, I looked forward to this time, in the moment, it tugged at my heart. I know that people look back fondly at the times when their kids were under 5 as some of the best times of your life. I think I'll be no different. Good times are ahead, but man, do I love the memories we've created this far.
James - As you start elementary school, I have a few hopes for you. I hope you always remember how incredible you are. You are so very smart. Work hard. Don't give up. Push yourself and believe in yourself. Treat others with kindness. Your effervescent personality is going to take you far. I can't wait to see all that you do, because I know you are headed for greatness! Go shine my little boy!
James - As you start elementary school, I have a few hopes for you. I hope you always remember how incredible you are. You are so very smart. Work hard. Don't give up. Push yourself and believe in yourself. Treat others with kindness. Your effervescent personality is going to take you far. I can't wait to see all that you do, because I know you are headed for greatness! Go shine my little boy!
First day of Kindergarten. You weren't very excited about the outfit I picked for you. You said, "I'm wearing this??" You were very excited to go to school, but I could tell you were a little nervous too.
First day of Second Grade. Madelyn was excited for school. And even more excited to teach James everything and anything he might need to know!
These two. Ugh. Be still my heart. I felt like they spent a lot of the summer fighting, but I can't even tell you how my heart rejoices when they come home from school with stories of eating lunch together and playing together at recess. In fact, James told me he sits by the door and waits for Madelyn to come out to recess. I told him to go play. He has made a few friends that he's really excited about, Ben, Brock, and Mark to name a few.
Madelyn and Macy are in class together for the third year in a row!
They make the Kindergartners wait in line the longest to head into school. I actually think it's horrible. They stand in line and wait nervously. James did great.
And he's off!
The second day of school, James and Madelyn took the bus. James was pumped, but he did tell me, "Mom, I'm a little nervous." He loves taking the bus now. Madelyn doesn't mind taking it in the morning but she likes me to go home with me in the afternoon. James says he doesn't mind. He'd take the bus!
Caroline's first day home alone with just Mom.


No comments:
Post a Comment