Thursday, April 30, 2015

The reality of Goodbye

Today, I talked to my principal about our accepted offer on a house and the likelihood of our kids going to my school. It was a discussion I was nervous to have and I've spent weeks thinking about the right time. Thankfully, it truly couldn't have went any better! 

So tonight I talked to Madelyn about Kindergarten Orientation at Ben Franklin. We have had small talks (Would you like going to school where Mom works?) and she's overheard more talks I'm sure, so I was taken aback by her immediate tears. Her sadness about leaving her friends as a 5 year was so real. She talked about not wanting to leave her teacher or Eisenhower Elementary. I was on the verge of tears too. She has made nice friends and I've become friends with their parents too. It was one more reassurance that we are doing the right thing moving now. Moving schools would only get harder. 

I talked to her about ways we can maintain friendships and connections with current friends all while opening ourselves to new people too. It's a lesson for all of us, really.

The next few weeks and months are certain to be filled with excitement, moments of stress, and the need to say goodbye, but what's to come is the rest of our lives! It's the dream we've held near to our hearts for a very long time. The desire to build our story in a single family home, in a neighborhood, is almost a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment