Monday, June 30, 2014

Jump start to Junior Kindergarten



I dropped Madelyn off for her two week summer school program, Jumpstart to Junior Kindergarten. 

I was not thrilled about giving her up for two weeks of our summer together but I was told the program was excellent. I reminded myself it was the right thing to do! I had to wake her this morning at 8am....what a rarity! She said she didn't want to go to Eisenhower but I easily talked her into it. 

We quickly got ready and headed to school. She was a little bummed that she didn't have a backpack yet but rather had her preschool shoulder bag. ("Mom, remember I need a backpack for school!") I remember sweetie !

As we walked onto the playground, she held my hand tightly. She met her teacher and confidently told Ms. Schmidt her name. She hugged me ever so passionately. (Lately her hugs have been of the 'I might never see you again caliber!)

And at that moment I felt unexpected tears welling in my eyes. I didn't even consider the fact that I might cry! Ms. Schmidt had the children line up and directed them to say good bye. Madelyn ran to me for one more hug. That was it! I had to get out of there before everyone saw what a mess I was about to become.

Madelyn noticed a little girl who had a Frozen backpack. Fast friends. I exited as gracefully as I could. From a distance, I watched her walk into school. James and I left. I cried. He told me not to be sad!

I know Madelyn will do great in school. I predict her teachers will love her nearly as much as we do. I also know this is the beginning of her (thankfully long) school journey. Our days of waking a planning what we should do are going to eventually be limited to Saturday and Sunday. And at this very moment that makes me very sad. 



No comments:

Post a Comment