Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tour de Farms and Farewell to Audra

I am blessed to have many friends in my life.  I have friends whom I've known since childhood.  I have friends who can tell my stories better than I can.  I have friends that I have bonded with over college, through work, and as a mother.  Sometimes these categories collide.

Audra falls into so many of them.  I have known Audra for the better part of 25 years.  We shared a childhood friend, experienced the joys of highschool, roomed together in college, and trained for a marathon together.  We love a good drink, to have a heart-filled discussion (on a topic which we usually agree!), and share a passion for the earth, animals, exercise, and nutrition.  Audra moved to Milwaukee two years ago.  In fact, she lived about a mile from me.  I know I will have regret that we didn't take advantage of this more.  But the mundane responsibilities of life must have gotten in the way.  

Alas, we were able to share two different outings together that highlighted the things we love before she set on a voyage (of a lifetime perhaps!?) taking her out west.  The exact destination...still to be determined.  But if I were a gambler, I would place all my money on Utah.  :)

 Audra and I had the pleasure of biking and eating our way through the Tour De Farms. 
 It was a beautiful day and our conversation was good.  So good, we actually got lost twice.  Not much fun for this lady.  I hadn't biked since last year when we did this ride.  It was an easy 30 miles for Audra.  I was a hurtin unit.  My dad, bless his heart, said it was because I was riding with my pump in a backpack.  Sounds good to me. 
 Much to my surprise,  I have bought a good amount of produce from this very farm at the Farmer's market.  So good...
In addition, to getting to spend the day with a dear friend, this is why I biked...to sit on a tractor and drink.  Let's be serious.

On to the second event!

 Audra's official going away party was on the pedal tavern.  It was a riot.  We opted to go the dive bars.  And man, oh man, were they dives.  Ten people were responsible for the foot power and getting us from point A to point B.  It wasn't necessarily easy, but it was a whole lot of fun!
 It was a night filled with laughter, singing to songs in unison at the top of our lungs, peeing by trees, getting a ticket for one free roofie, free food, and lots of cold  beverages.  I kept saying I felt like I was in college again. 

Audra, I love you friend.  I am proud of you for chasing your dreams.  I am excited by the prospect of your new love.  I am living vicariously through you and your travels.  I know good things are in store for you, and I can't wait to celebrate all of your joys.  We will always be friends.  We have too much history, too much in common, and too much love not to be.  Good luck.  Live. Love. Dance. Sing. Celebrate all that the world is offering you. Bon voyage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment