I recently returned to work after spending 6 and half months at home. On the eve of the first day of school, my heart was filled with so many different emotions. I was sad. How could this time have went by so quickly? I have said it so many times, spending this much time with my children while they are so young is remarkable. I am so lucky. I was able to spend my days playing, singing, dancing, and snuggling. I watched Madelyn turn from a toddler into a little girl. She has made me so proud in so many ways. I bonded with my sweet baby James. I spent hours holding him, nursing him, laughing with him and getting to know my son. I watched his personality develop and emerge. I fell in love all over again. My heart was sad that I wasn't going to get to spend all the moments in my day with him.
My heart also felt excited. I was excited to use my mind in a different way. I was excited to see my students and coworkers. I was excited to get a break from my strong willed little lady. (Sorry sweetie, I love you dearly, but you can be exhausting!).
And, I couldn't wait to get a paycheck again. In many ways, the past 6 months was filled with the highest highs and with a handful of lows. Casey's job was in flux. We decided to short sell our condo. Our budget was squeezed to the max.
I am always amazed how the truth finds me. Maybe it's God getting me the message when I need it most. I can read a quote online and believe it was exactly what I needed to hear. This time, it was at the grocery store. An older couple was oohing and ahhing over my children. I was tired. I appreciated their compliments but was focused on getting our shopping down and getting home in time for the next child's nap. As I was about to walk on, the gentleman said to me, "Savor all of these moments. Kids grow way too fast. You will always look back on this time as the very BEST time in your life." I walked away with tears in my eyes. I know it's true. I would freeze time right now if I could, right now while we are cooped up in our two bedroom condo with musical beds, a little stone backyard, and toys/strollers/activity centers/etc taking up our living room, I would do it because I love the ages of my kids. I love watching life through their eyes.
I'm three weeks into work, and so far, so good. We have some sleep issues to continue to work out. Madelyn says her room is 'yucky' and she doesn't want to sleep in there. James is still in our room and is waking up every 2 hours. I'm a little foggy at work. I am making some silly mistakes, but everyone tells me they get it. They understand. Madelyn and J are in good hands while I am gone. Yesterday, Madelyn told me the best part of her day was having Papa here. I believe her exact words were, "I love when he plays with me."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment