Mayzie
My family got Mayzie when I was only 15 years old. She, like all puppies, was wild. I remember the night we brought her home. She tore around our living room running laps like mad. She would dart out of the house and into the greenbelt. She'd run around landscapping, loving being chased. She even snuck into neighbors homes when they opened the door to see what was going on.
Madelyn loved Mayzie from the moment she could move around on the ground. Mayzie was the MOST patient and tolerant dog I've ever met.
This past Christmas, my parents made the heartbreaking decision to put Mayzie to sleep. She was 16 years old. She had trouble seeing and hearing. She had tumors scattered throughout her body. They knew she probably had cancer. Mayzie loved to eat and she no longer was eating. No one wanted her to suffer.
Saying goodbye to our family member was far from easy, but I took comfort in knowing what a long and wonderful life she lived. I've always believed all dogs go to heaven.
I think of Mayzie often. Every night, Madelyn and I say a prayer before she goes to bed. We start together saying, 'Dear God, Thank you for...' and Madelyn takes it from there. Mayzie is included in the litany of family members and friends every night. We've talked about how Mayzie lives in heaven with God. Madelyn has been very accepting of this explanation, and I've never had to go into any other detail.
Last night when we were reading bedtime books, Madelyn selected a book about baptism that Great Grandma Evenson gave her before James was baptized. The first page says, "When you are baptized, God says, 'Come right in. You're home." I read the page, to which Madelyn replied, "That's where Mayzie lives." It amazed me. It brought tears to my eyes. I love how there is no question. If only everyone could have the accepting, blind faith of a child.

No comments:
Post a Comment