Kisses for baby brother
You asked to hold him again
Snuggles and love for mommy
Dear Madelyn,
You are 23 months old AND a big sister!
You have done such a fabulous job transitioning into your new role. Nana and Papa came to stay with you while Mommy and James were at the hospital and Daddy was working. You came to visit us everyday before and after nap time. You were a big hit at the hospital. Everyone knew you and would greet you by name or call you, 'Squeakers' because of your squeaky shoes (which you are obsessed with FYI.....you have been wearing them for at least 6 months! You bend over and tell people they are too small when they comment on them now. I think you've heard mommy say that a few times).
Other mommies warned me that you might be standoff-ish or scared when you came to the hospital and I should be ready for you to want nothing to do with me. Well, Madelyn, that sure wasn't the case. You took everything in stride. You snuggled with me. You kissed your brother. When Daddy tried to take you back to Nana and Papa after meeting James in recovery, you kept saying, "Go see him again."
You had some trouble understanding why mommy was gone for so long. You kept saying, "Mommy almost done. Mommy gonna come home." By Thursday night, you were really missing mommy. You cried when you left and it broke my heart. I cried too. That night Daddy said you woke up and talked to yourself for about an hour in your crib. You kept saying, "Mommy almost done. Nana and Papa here."
Boy was I excited to get home to you and have our whole family under one roof! You have been so patient and are sharing mommy, and I haven't seen one jealous bone in your body. You help mommy by throwing away dirty diapers, putting clothes in the laundry basket, and reading to your brother.
You are such a great big sister.
Some other things about you:
*You are embracing being a big girl and climb in the highchair yourself and go up and down our stairs on your own stairs. When daddy came home yesterday, you were waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs! Yikes.
* You started to 'read' us your books and I am amazed by how much you've memorised.
* You are obsessed with blankie and he has taken on human-like qualities: sits on the potty chair, needs a diaper change, feels happy, needs a haircut, rides in the stroller (buckled in of course). You are hilarious Madelyn.
* You have an imagination. See above! But also, you'll pretend you are in a boat and see animals in the ocean.
* You have an opinion!! You and Daddy get into some serious power struggles. I definitely have started to pick my battles. You went to Betty Brinn today with Papa wearing quite the outfit! You think it looks beautiful though.
* You love animals.
* You are having a blast trying out your baby brother's stuff. You play in the baby bath tub and sit in the bouncy chair.
* You are learning positional words (under, behind, etc) and using irregular verb tenses correctly (Are you kidding me?....smarty pants! You told me yesterday, "I woke up.")
I love you so much Madelyn and am so proud of the little girl you are becoming. I can't believe you'll be two next month!
Love,
Your mommy

No comments:
Post a Comment