I have had the last three weeks off of work and I've tried to use that time wisely! I've finished projects around the house, made trips to Goodwill, and spent time with my family and friends.
I made a trip to Janesville to learn how to make/can my grandma's homemade salsa. We had such a great afternoon together. I really enjoyed spending time with my grandma and grandpa all on my own. I NEED to make this happen more often. I realized it had been years since I had them all to myself. While I learned the secret recipe, we talked about my life and theirs. I listened to my grandma talk about growing up on the farm, her home, and losing her mother at such a young age. Neither of their houses were completely heated during the Winter as children. My grandpa talked about sharing a bed with his three brothers to stay warm. These stories are only little tid bits of their life. yet it was so special to hear them.
I feel so grateful to still have my grandparents. They are doing remarkable well too. My grandpa and I walked in their beautiful backyard. Although I had just been to their home last week, somethings are not appreciated unless you slow down and take the time to look at them. Trees that I remember being shorter than me are now monstrous giants. Countless times I was taken back to my childhood while I was there. My grandma had on The Price is Right when I arrived followed by her soap The Young and the Restless...exactly what was on 20 years ago when I would spend weekdays with them.
I am really proud of the people my grandparents are and how they've seen the world change. My grandma talked about seeing a movie during WW II and in the next breath wanted to show me my cousin's website on their computer. I'm so proud of them for frequently emailing. My grandma showed me two of the 70 bags she sewed for children in third world countries to carry their school supplies in. Different people donated the supplies and my grandma stuffed the bags and packed the boxes. Talk about using your retirement and your gifts from God. I wonder if my grandma even knows the amount of items she's sewn and donated over the years. I'm sure it's in the hundreds if not thousands.
When I hugged them goodbye I asked what my next lesson could be. There's so many different things they can teach me and show me and I can't wait to learn! Next on the agenda is homemade applesauce!

No comments:
Post a Comment