Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Has Arrived!


After waiting WAY too long for warm weather, summer hit with heat and humidity! I actually made a list on Friday of all that I wanted to accomplish (fun included) during the weekend! The list was long and we needed to rest up Friday night. Milwaukee had been hit with a hard storm Thursday night (2-5 inches of rain and pretty incredible flooding) and Friday brought another. It wasn't as dramatic, but still an impressive thunderstorm. I love summer storms.......we made a great dinner and crawled into bed to watch a movie. In so many ways this is my perfect Friday night........Casey and I just being able to enjoy each other!

Saturday we were up early and off to the Farmer's Market. I had wanted to go for quite some time. In my quest to improve our eating habits without hurting the bank account the Farmer's Market is a dream! We walked the mile and half with Marley to Cathedral Square. We weren't sure if it was pet friendly or not, but couldn't leave our only baby behind. We immediately found a cute stand selling homemade dog biscuits......Marley picked out a peanut butter ice cream cone cookie, although I think he would have been happy with any of the options. After that, he thought every table had something for him. He was in supreme good behavior mode, hoping for more handouts! The ladies passing out water thought he was sweet and gave him a cold drink.



He had trouble making it home in the heat! We had to do lots of convincing that he was able......it was such a hoax on his part though. We stopped at a softball field to offer him more water and he ran around like a crazy man or a guess I should say....dog!


We loved eating our fresh strawberries, red potatoes, and green leafy lettuce....all locally grown organic foods....YUM! What the perfect way to start the day!

After working outside and getting extremely sunburned, I went out to dinner for Allison's bacholerette party. Allison is a teacher who I have worked with the past four years. Some people are so easy to like, they radiate good vibes right off of them, and they make you want to be a better person just by being around them. Allison is one of these people. She is kind, generous, fun, and she truly has the biggest heart. When I met Allison she was going through a divorce, extremely hurt by the man who she thought she'd spend her entire life with. While heartbroken that her life had steered off what she thought was it's intended coarse, I saw a woman who was so strong, independent, and still so full of love and hope. Allison recently met a great man. They are getting married and moving away to Iowa. I'm sadden for the distance that will soon be a part of our friendship and the void that will be left at our school, but I'm tremendously happy for all that her future holds.


We celebrated Father's Day with both of our parents on Sunday. We headed to McFarland to canoe! It was the first time Casey and I had done this together. As always, it was an adventure. I started out in the back of the canoe, sure that my skills were superior. I was working like crazy but couldn't seem to keep us headed straight. We switched spots half way through and it was smooth sailing. Of couse Casey got to paddle us down stream! It was a great way to spend the day. I love that my family is active and able to get out there and do things. I have been so proud of my parents lately. The are really living up their 50s. They even completed a 150 mile bike last weekend.





It really was a great weekend. It involved all of my favorite Fs.....family, friends, and food! I won't go into details about the other F of the weekend.....a slight fender bender. Oops!




No comments:

Post a Comment