The Fourth of July was the first weekend in at least 6 weeks that we did not travel out of town! It also was the first weekend in weeks that Casey had a Saturday off, making for a three day weekend to fill with family fun!
Thursday evening was spent mostly outside. We cooked out and let the kids stay up until dark. We made s'mores over the fire pit, did sparklers, and Casey lit fireworks for the kids. They loved it! (He did too!)
Jay was frequently reminded that 1.) A sparkler is hot. 2.) You can't poke people with the sparkler. 3.) Back away from the fireworks. The sparklers and the whip-its were probably the biggest hits. Oh and smoke bombs...very superhero like!
Friday morning we headed to met the Choses for the parade. I adore the Choses. When they do something, they do it right! They headed out at 7am, set up a table, staked out spots with lawn chairs, chilled the brewskis and Bloody Mary mix, and had snacks ready to go.
I wasn't sure what Jay would think of the parade as last year he was terrified of anyone in costume. He has made progress though; I am happy to report.
This year when the Admiral's hockey team mascot passed, James ran to me and asked very concerned, "Mama what that pirate dog doing?" He repeated to himself many times, "Him nice. Him nice." Good use of self talk buddy.
This made me laugh and immediately text Cousin Steve.
Collecting candy was the best part of the parade for the kids. Enjoying the fruits of their labor.
Pretty Fourth of July sweetie!

That night we again let the kids stay up late in order to go for our first Fourth of July fireworks show. (About 7pm I was really regretting two late nights for the kids, but they got a second wind. Thank. The. Lord.) We headed to Elm Grove park with a blanket and beers for the grown-ups! The kids were tired but excited to see the show. As soon as the fireworks started they both were in awe and proceeded to provide constant commentary. Madelyn would shout out, "Oh that's beautiful. Gorgeous. It's my favorite." James labeled the colors with the corresponding Super Hero (naturally). "Green like Incredible Hulk. Red like Iron Man.'" Yes, if you like to watch the fireworks in silence, we were not the people to sit near. James was very relaxed and sat in my lap motionless...very unlike James. After about five minutes of the show, he turned, hugged me, and said, "Me no like these fireworks. Them make me dizzy." I died. I am pretty sure they don't make him dizzy. He was tired and ready to go and what does his mom always say when she doesn't like something, "It makes me dizzy." Ha! I explained there was only a little of the show remaining. He turned around and watched for the next 10 minutes or so. Feeling dissatisfied that the dizzy excuse only works for mom, he stood up and announced, "Me put on shoes. Me go home." He did make it to the grand finale, and I'd say he really did enjoy the show, but beyond anything, the little boy wanted his bed!

Saturday Casey started a big project for me! He spent at least 8 hours sanding the kitchen table in order to refinish the top and paint the bottom. The table was my grandparents from the time my dad was a teenager until my grandpa passed away almost 10 years ago. We initially just got the table because we were in need of one to use while renting. I really wanted a Farmhouse style table but was waiting to see what would work best in the home we buy. So I wasn't in the love with the table, but functional it was. Now that it is finished, I adore it. I can't wait to see what the finished chairs will look like next to it. Now I am feeling all nostalgic about the table. I remember eating many meals at that table sitting on a phone book booster seat. I am excited to take a piece of furniture that holds so many conversations between my loved ones in its grains and create new memories as my family gathers there for food, conversation, and laughter. Casey is such a perfectionist with his projects and he sure delivered with this one!

Sunday was a pool day! Madelyn takes a break for a snack.
She did so much swimming. She was adamant that she no longer needs water wings and did lots of practicing of her front crawl. She's getting to be a stronger swimmer each time we go. It's so fun to watch. I love that she's willing to let me teach her too.
Jay loves the water too. He went down the slide at least a hundred times. While I was working with Madelyn he would jump into the pool, swim to the steps, climb out, repeat, repeat, repeat.
He looks so grown up here.
It was a weekend filled with sunny skies, family, and many memories....my fave!
No comments:
Post a Comment