Sunday, February 16, 2014

Love, love, love

All you need is love!

I was listening to the radio on the way to work Thursday and the DJs were discussing Valentine's Day.  One was adamant that it is a day meant for couples and not children.  Caller after caller responded with what they were doing for their children, and I agreed.  However, no one explained it how I would have. So hear me out!  I do think it is incredibly important to remember your significant other.  It doesn't need to be Valentine's Day to go above and beyond to make your partner feel loved, but it needs to happen.  And it needs to happen often! I always believed that I'd make my husband number one, but it gets harder when these little, needy babies arrive.  It's so important to make each other feel special and loved, so for that reason I agreed with the one DJ in part.

However,  I am always thinking about what we are modeling for our children and what message that sends now (and later in life).  I want my children to know Valentine's day is about showing those around you that they are loved, and that you will have opportunities to feel love in return too.  You are loved by your family.  You are loved by your friends.  And maybe you are loved by a special significant other too.  However, I don't want to send the message to my adolescent or young adult or even middle aged adult that you must be in a relationship to feel loved! 

Honestly, I've always thought Valentine's day was a little silly, we should show those around us that we love all the time, not just because it's a holiday, but since it's a part of our culture, we will celebrate it!

 

Casey and I hadn't talked about what we'd do for Valentine's day or whether we'd do something for the kids.  I loved walking up to these flowers and notes.  It warmed my heart how he had a bouquet for me and a mini one for the kids.  I love this man so much!  Madelyn was so excited about the flowers (and so worried that her brother was going to someone hurt/ruin/destroy them even though they were his too!).

We had strawberry heart pancakes for breakfast!


My favorite thing that I did was organize a heart hunt.  The kids and I each thought of things we loved about dad.

I love eating your snacks. (James)
I love playing angry troll with you. (Madelyn and James)
I love how you give me books. (Madelyn)
I love that you give me good vegetables. (Madelyn)
I love the father and husband you. (Me)
I love how hard working you are. (Me)
I love watching the iPad with you. (James)
I like watching TV and videos with you. (Madelyn)

We then hid the hearts around the house and Dad had to find them.  The kids had so much fun hiding them and helping dad hunt for them.  We did it again for Madelyn and James.  See their hearts below!  I loved doing this with the kids.  It was hilarious to hear what they thought of and the joy of hiding and hunting for hearts was abundant.  I have it on video for proof!  I was particularly amazed with James' ability to think of things to say about his family.

Madelyn's hearts:
I love swimming with you. (James)
I am amazed by your kindness and generosity. (Me)
I love how you pretend and are so creative. (Me)
I love when you chase me. (James)
I love that you are such a good little girl and you are very helpful and nice to your brother. (Dad)
I love that you are so funny! (Dad)
I love your tight hugs and all of the kisses you blow! (Me)

James' hearts:
I love tickling your tummy, your slobbery kisses, and your charming personality. (Me)
I love that you are my valentine and love me. (Madelyn)
I love how you give me books. (Madelyn)
I love your laugh. (Me)
I love when you push my kiss button. (Me)
I love how you play race and chase with me. (Madelyn)
(We filled all of your hearts out before Dad was home from work. Sorry!)



We then had steak, scallops, lobster, mushroom/asparagus risotto, and Greek Yogurt with berries.  James ate....... almost nothing.   James had a cold and was battling a fever.  (He had 103.6 fever the night before.  Poor baby.  I've never seen him so lethargic.  It was scary.)

Madelyn thought it was delicious!


Rocking James before bed was bittersweet.  It was the eve of his Second birthday.  I love watching  him learn and grow, but why do the baby moments go so quickly!

I am lucky to have so much love in my life!  Happy Valentine's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment